Age

Age has never really meant that much to me. A person's age is just a number, it tells you nothing about that person! I've met people older than me who were less mature and people younger than me who had an "old soul", meaning they were mature beyond their age. Maturity does not come with the amount of time a person spends on this world; but, too often, others think it does. Being mature does not mean you can't act like a child at times or enjoy certain things with 'childlike wonder', it just means know when it is appropriate or desirable to do so. To me it's always been maturity that counts and not age!

My daughters are the most precious people in my life and mostly my reason for living. I have been "overprotective" of them while they were growing up; but, I also acknowledged their early maturity. When they started "dating", I was not surprised that the oldest wound up finding someone older than herself. I admit, at first, I was concerned about it but because I trusted her and recognized they were both on the same maturity level, I quickly accepted her choice. Happily they both appear to have done considerable maturing in the past 10 years.

If one of my girls met someone younger then themselves that they wanted to be with, it would not be the persons age I would even think of but their maturity! That is one reason I've never really even thought about someone's age when interacting with them. Unfortunately, most people seem to think age is a "big deal" and often prejudge others by their preconceived notions.

While I was growing up, I was lucky enough to have parents who did not mind if I hung around when their friends visited or joined in on "adult" conversations. My parents never really said "You're not old enough" or "You're to young" when it came to us kids trying out new things. I guess that is one reason age never became a big deal to me. At least that's the way I remember things. The only exception being when I wanted to hang around the older boys when  they were in their teenage years. Which I soon learned, the hard way, was for my own protection.

I have know several very happy couples where age differences were greater than 3-15 years, both the women being older or the man. Those relationships were based more on maturity and acceptance the a numerical value determined by birth date.

As for my age (51, soon 52), it's no big deal. I don't know how many years, if any, I will be here; but, thankfully, that doesn't matter all that much to me either. I do know that I don't really want an "intimate relationship" with anyone at this point in my life. However, that does not mean that I'm not willing to reconsider that if the right person came along, regardless of their age.

The only thing I really like about my age is the coincidence of my mother being 25 years older then me and my daughter being 25 years younger and all of us born in February!

No comments: