Gardening

One of my favorite things to do, that always makes me feel "happy" is putzing around in the garden, be it vegetables of flowers. For some reason, probably harking back to childhood, I find getting down and getting my hand in the dirt very peaceful. One of the main reasons I moved out here when I did was to help my mom with the garden. Having a hand in growing things is satisfying, probably why I had four kids, and harvesting and canning /freezing gives me just as much pleasure. Now if only my body would allow me to do more!

Growing up we had two gardens, one for most vegetables and the other for mainly potatoes. Everyone pretty much helped clean out the gardens from rocks, some were actually boulders, and plant/weed/harvest. Some of my favorite memories revolve around our gardens and the time spent helping out.

I think getting to "play" in the dirt somehow satisfies the little kid in me because growing up we didn't have any sandboxes or playground near the farm. Our playground was the farm and our "sandboxes" were the gardens. Here in Smith, which is build on top of mainly sand, it feels like you're playing in a huge sandbox when gardening.

No comments: